It’s Road Trip Season!

No matter where your drive takes you, make sure your Ontario auto insurance policy has the coverage you need.

Summer is almost upon us and it’s the perfect season to explore Ontario and enjoy the natural beauty of our great country. Whether you drive up to the cottage, on the Trans-Canada highway to Nova Scotia, or rent a car in British Columbia, or even cross the border to the United States, it’s reassuring to know that your Ontario auto insurance policy applies everywhere across Canada and the United States.

Depending on where you’re going and what you’re doing, you may need to purchase additional coverage to ensure that your road trip goes smoothly. Before you hit the open road, make sure to contact your McClelland Insurance broker to review your coverage.

Here are some tips to check with your broker before you start your journey:

  • While your Ontario auto policy generally follows you where you travel within Canada and the U.S., your policy may have limitations or exclusions that are applicable when you are in a different state, city or province.
  • You don’t need to inform your insurance provider for short driving trips within Canada or the U.S. If you intend to stay away for an extended period, usually six months or longer, you may need to inform your provider as your insurance coverage may become invalid if you are driving out of province for that long.
  • Review the coverage amount you currently have for third party liability insurance. If you are involved in an accident in the U.S. where insurance payouts are typically higher, this may not be enough if you are determined to be responsible for the accident. It is usually recommended to have $2 million to $5 million in coverage.


If you don’t have these coverages already, you should considering adding these to your policy for even more protection:

  • Family protection coverage – this additional coverage protects you and your family from underinsured or uninsured drivers. Some states in the U.S. do not require drivers to have car insurance and this coverage can help you cover your medical bills if you are involved in an accident with someone who is underinsured or not insured.
  • Loss of use coverage – if you are involved in an accident where your car can no longer be driven, this coverage provides you with a temporary replacement vehicle so that you can continue with your trip.
  • Legal Liability for Damage to Non-Owned Auto – if you’re going to rent a vehicle, this covers damage if you are responsible for the accident and may cover accident benefits as well. If you have this coverage, you don’t need to buy the insurance coverage that is offered by the rental company.